Skip to main content

Of Language Barriers and the Kindness of Strangers

It is right now 1 a.m. and I am in the bus, on the way back home from a whirlwind trip of sorts to Hyderabad.  There are people snoring all around me  but being the insomniac that I am (and given the fact that I hardly get any sleep while travelling in overnight buses), I am wide awake, hearing songs on my dear cell phone (hurrah for technology!). The fact that the bus I am in has a charging port that actually works for a change is only inspiring my sleeplessness. So I finally thought I would jot down a few lines in my blog after what seems like ages.

I love going on trips and visiting new places. Sadly, though, working in an industry that gives you just a one weekly off and not many holidays doesn't really give me the opportunity to travel often.

This time, however, I was determined to make some time for myself for a change. I finally picked up the courage and got leave for two days; adding in a Sunday meant I'd have a three day trip (yayyy)!

The next question was, where do I actually go? I considered pretty much every place from Goa to Kerala; even thought I'd go to Calcutta for Dusshera, but that obviously did not happen. I finally totally unexpectedly decided on Hyderabad as my destination of choice.

I will write more about the details of my trip in later posts (which will hopefully be fairly soon), but I write this recalling a hilarious incident that occurred on my trip, but an incident that also tells why I am so impressed with this lovely city.

From the moment we landed (read got down from the bus) in Hyderabad, we came across people who would go out of their way to help, right from the first rickshaw driver we met (who actually helped, was really nice and soft-spoken, and didn't want to figuratively loot us unlike some rickshaw drivers I know!), to the hotel we stayed at for the duration of our trip, and definitely not to forget the cab driver who was with us for the duration of our trip (he had been arranged by the hotel, which also went out of their way to arrange our return tickets for us).

I tend to drift off topic at times, so let me come to my story. After a long day of sightseeing on Monday, our cab driver took us to a local very, very busy market place. When I say busy, try imagining a market place full of shops on both corners, shops everywhere on the street, on a narrow road, and both two and four-wheelers moving nonstop on said road.  Yes, that about describes the market..!

I was searching for something nice and simple to buy in remembrance of having come to Hyderabad. I did not find anything specific to the wonderful city, but I did come across a sweet old lady selling little statues, toy animals, and Laughing Buddhas.

I have a special love for Laughing Buddha, and I was kind of pleased to find it at last. I proceeded to ask her how much she would sell it for, which was when I discovered that she was a sweet old lady who did not know a word of any language other than Telugu (a language I sadly do not know)! What followed was a really comical exchange of words in about four different languages between me, the lady, a small boy who tried as best he could and finally told me "Telugu to mujhe bhi nahin aati!" (actually even I don't know Telugu!), and a kind gentleman who knew what both me and the lady were saying and gladly helped us (between fits of laughter at the situation) and was our saving grace. The lady was a really good sport as a matter of fact and she actually joined us in laughter at our helpless situation - having two different people translate numbers, prices and sentences for us!

I finally did buy the Laughing Buddha (I had to after the incident he brought about, didn't I?) and two little toy dogs, which the lady sold at a really very reasonable price. The gentleman who helped me out was kind enough to stay back till he was sure I didn't need any more help.

This incident, while having given me my dose of laughter for the day, also touched my heart in more ways than one. A lady who could not understand me at all but did not lose her cool; a young boy who didn't know the language but still tried to help, and a gentleman who I am sure had many better things to do, but chose to instead stay back and help us out. I don't know what better words to use, other than saying that I have been completely won over by the people of Hyderabad. I will definitely be back, probably some time very soon!

P.S. Posted this the next morning, thanks to my amazing mobile Internet connection...!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Congratulations, Team INDIA!!!!

I can confidently venture to say that 2011 will forever hold a special place in the heart of each and every Indian all over the world. Personally, April 2, 2011 will be a very, very special date for me for many, many years to come.. the day my long awaited dream finally came true. Well, if you are wondering what I am talking about (i.e. if you haven't already guessed it), I am, of course, talking about the ICC World Cup 2011. We are the WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! The World Cup has finally come back to India after 28 long years! 28 years...that is nearly three decades..I myself hadn't been born when India had last won the World Cup. It's such a great feeling that it is tough to even get words to describe it. I happen to be a die-hard Sachin Tendulkar fan. I must have been hardly 6 or 7 years old when I first saw Sachin play..and my..how do I put it..fascination, love, awe? for him has only grown twenty-fold (if not more) over the years. As was the dream of every Sachin fan, it w

My Attempt at Cooker Cake Making

D ocumented below is my attempt at preparing a cake this past weekend..The results impressed me so much that I felt the need to blog it! :D To be honest I am not much of a baker and am a complete "newbie" when it comes to cake making..I have prepared it once or twice in the past, and it turned out okay taste wise (NOT shape wise!) I set out to prepare a cake this Sunday, thanks to the immense inspiration I have been getting from Masterchef Australia of late.. :D Ive never been a great viewer of cookery shows in the past, but Masterchef Australia has always been an exception.. Every series just happens to be better than the last.. and I do love the MasterClasses! Anyway getting back to my cake, I originally wanted to make a cheesecake (like the one prepared on last week's episode) but had to change plans at the last minute due to lack of a variety of cheeses (and fear that it wouldn't come out right). I then decided to make a simpler vanilla flavoured cak

Of Goa and Chinese Lanterns

Being stuck in the midst of this global pandemic for well over half a year now, I can't help but go back in time and reminisce on the happy moments of what feels like the good old days, when life was so much better, simpler actually, and we had the freedom to go out and about, do as we please (well, at least sometimes and some of us, anyway), and most importantly, go on trips and travel.  Sadly, this feels like a far-fetched luxury we humans can't afford to have at this point. Lost in these thoughts, I found myself browsing through my phone gallery earlier today, going through pictures of good times and fond memories of last year, and I happened to find pictures of my trip to Goa, in December 2019, a few weeks before Christmas. Goa has always been one of my favourite tourist destinations, but for some reason, it's always been the one destination that has always eluded me.  Every trip planned to Goa seemed to get cancelled at the very last minute. Every single time. Cliche